How To Make Someone Look Sad In Photoshop Using Liquify

Rating: 3.00 based on 2 Ratings
  By Julian
How To Make Someone Look Sad In Photoshop Using Liquify

Hi all, today I want to look at how to manipulate faces using Photoshop.

The times that I would use this is when I’m going for a certain look in a composite.

You can imagine that I have to make a poster for a movie or something like that.

So imagine I’ve been asked to do the movie poster within a certain period of time, all the photos had been taken, but not by you unfortunately and there is no time for re-shoots, so you look at the images and you think, they must have been having a right old time while they were taking these photos because most of them are smirking when they’re supposed to have serious or sad expressions on there faces, oh dear!

Well no, not oh dear actually! because we know how to use Photoshop and we’re excellent at it, so no worries at all, we’ll fix those expressions up quick snap and nobody will know any different.

Now I will say that for this we’ll just be using an image of a person smirking and looking softly pleased with themselves, if they have a massive cheesy grin on their face then you would have to look about mixing and matching, replacing parts out of other images of them to get something that you could work with, if you don’t have this option then you’re just out of luck (Or try one of our Photoshop actions to help you ).
But, for this let’s take a look at the types of images that I’m talking about.

Sometimes in Photoshop, we can’t win them all.

But, for this let’s take a look at the type of image that I’m talking about that I’m going to use.

Ok let’s begin…

Let’s create a duplicate layer first that we can work with so we have the original layer intact if anything goes wrong.

So look to the top left of your desktop till you see the word Layer, click on that and then click on Duplicate Layer, press ok.

Now you will see you have a new layer on the right hand side in the layers panel.

Next look to that top menu again, an when you see the word Filter, click on it, and you will then see an option called Liquify. [you can also use the keyboard shortcut if you can remember it, you do this by holding Shift + Ctrl and then hitting X]

Ok when you are in you want to zoom in, key Z on your keyboard and a magnifying glass will appear, then you just click on your screen to zoom in, then to zoom out hold Alt on your keyboard and click just like you did.

You can also hold the space bar to enable you to click on the screen and drag your image around.

Next we’ll want to use the Warp Tool (W on your keyboard for the shortcut)

Now comes the hard part ha-ha, so the way you use this tool, is you click and drag, so if I clicked on the nose and pulled down, it would pull the nose down with my mouse warping it.

To refine this, the technique I employ, it to click and pull slightly, so just tiny bits at a time.

I use the bracket keys on my keyboard to change the size of my brush head, which will be necessary.

So change the size of the brush head to fit the size of the area that you want to warp.

Ok so to get a feel for the tool, take 5 minutes to play around and when you are done click on ‘Restore all’ on the right hand side to set everything back to normal.

I am now going to do the following, I’m going to start to work on the eyebrows and pull the inner ends upwards little by little.

Next I’ll work on the mouth, and pull it down and in, so use your best judgment and when you are happy click on OK.

If there’s any little bits that don’t look right, you can simply use the Spot Healing Brush Tool, all you do is just click and paint over the area, but note I said little.

And that’s it, we have now changed the mood of our subject, you can also go a little bit further and add a little tear like I did, but I’ll let you figure that one out, here’s a hint, I used a PNG file 🙂 ha-ha enjoy.

Here’s the best way to use the Patch Tool and Fade Tool in Photoshop.

Rating: 3.00 based on 2 Ratings
The following two tabs change content below.


Graduated from college in 2002 with a degree in Art & Design, I started exploring my way in Graphic Design and Professional Post Production. Full-time freelancer since 2011.

Comments (0)

There are no comments yet.